Notts County 1 Carlisle United 1

Steve Chettle made one change to the team that drew at Morecambe on Saturday as Enzio Boldewijn, who hobbled off with a knee injury in that match, made way for Noor Husin.

And the Afghanistan international nearly had an opportunity to give his side an early lead when good work from Nathan Thomas led to him cutting the ball back for his fellow midfielder, only for a defender to intercept well. Ross Fitzsimons made saves from Jamie Devitt and Hallam Hope and Thomas’ superb low cross evaded everyone in the middle as the sides jostled for early superiority. Devitt and Hope both went close to giving the Cumbrians the advantage shortly afterwards, the former whistling a free-kick just over the bar before the latter’s first-time effort was held well by Fitzsimons. Dennis sliced an effort wide from the edge of the area and Hope saw a shot deflected behind as the clock ticked down towards half-time. But there was to be no breakthrough before the referee’s whistle went.

There were no changes at the break and the visitors claimed the second half’s first shot, Ashley Nadesan scuffing an attempt harmlessly off-target from just outside the area. Hewitt then sparked Notts into life with a superb run through the heart of midfield before perfectly weighting a pass for Thomas. The winger had time to compose himself before shooting, seeing his low effort blocked by the legs of former Magpie Adam Collin. Turley’s header from the resultant corner was kept out at point-blank range before, at the other end, Regan Slater lashed an effort wide from 20 yards.┬áBut the deadlock was eventually broken on 63 minutes – and it came courtesy of another Hewitt lung-buster, the Welshman winning a corner after making purposeful strides into Carlisle territory. The resultant set piece saw a Husin effort blocked but Hewitt was on hand to pick up the scraps, firing the ball home from close range. Fitzsimons then made two strong saves from Yates, the first at his near post and the second following a deflection, as the visitors commenced their search for an equaliser. Hope was the next man to have a go, guiding an effort wide of the far post, before Hewitt wrote his name into the book for deliberate handball as he tried to turn home Thomas’ cross. It was then Dan Jones’ turn to whip in a dangerous delivery but Kristian Dennis, under the close attentions of two defenders, could only nod the ball straight at Collin from six yards. Notts looked like they were heading for a big win but Yates, it turns out, had other ideas. A superb cross from the left tempted Fitzsimons off his line but Yates was first to the ball, nodding it home to draw his side level with six minutes to play. Andy Kellett replaced Thomas, joining Shaun Brisley on the field after he had earlier replaced Husin, shortly before four minutes were added on at the end of the match. Carlisle sub Richie Bennett headed the ball straight at Fitzsimons and Kellett’s tame effort failed to trouble Collin at the death. But neither side were able to find a winner as Notts were forced to settle for a point for the second consecutive game.

Notts County: Fitzsimons, Hewitt, Dennis, Thomas (Kellett 90), Husin (Brisley 85), Ward, Patching, Davies, Jones, Milsom, Turley.

Booked: Hewitt.

Carlisle: Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Jones (Etuhu 82), Hope, Devitt (Bennett 82), Gillesphey, Slater, Yates, Sowerby, Nadesan (McCarron 76).

Images And Content Copyright Notts County FC & Notts County Info. Thanks to Notts County for their kind permission to reproduce their content.